Inspired by my love for WordPress theme development and a great presentation by developer Sean Butze I attended at this year’s WordCamp Boston, I’m happy to present Groundwork, a WordPress starter theme.
Beyond the usual starter theme basics, Groundwork features many nice customizations to a stock WordPress install, including:
- Custom log in screen logo & styles;
- Customized admin area including logo and dashboard;
- Customized/advanced wp-config and wp-config-local (yes, that’s outside the scope of a standard theme);
- Basic responsive layout;
- LESS for better stylesheets;
- Best practices for speed and mark-up.
In short, Groundwork aims to encourage a more tailored and unique WordPress experience for you and/or your clients from how their site responds on multiple devices to how the admin feels when editing a page.
Groundwork is heavily inspired by the following people and projects, which I encourage you to check out:
- GrowthSpark‘s Starter Theme
- Automattic/Theme Shaper‘s _s starter theme (Pronounced “Underscores”)
- Mark Jaquith‘s WordPress Skeleton
- HTML5 Boilerplate
I welcome your comments and feedback, and I hope it helps you do great work.